The UAB Orientation Leaders assist in the implementation of Goin' Green New Student Orientation. Orientation Leaders play a vital role in helping new students make a smooth transition to life at UAB. This knowledgeable and spirited group of students is dedicated to helping each student find his/her place in UAB's inclusive community.
Congratulations to the
2013 Orientation Leader Team
Orientation Leader Coordinators
How to become an Orientation Leader
An ideal Orientation Leader must have an interest in helping others, a positive outlook toward UAB and university life, a broad base of interests and involvement, a sense of humor, and an attitude that values teamwork and diversity. They must be willing to be flexible, patient, and hard-working.
The Orientation Leader selection process is competitive. We have passed the deadline for the 2013 Orientation Leader Team. To apply next year, please review the following instructions:
- Return completed application, resume, and two letters of recommendation to UBOB 110 by the published deadline.
- Sign up for an interest session and schedule a group interview when you submit your application.
- Participate in an individual interview. (Candidates selected for an individual interview will be notified after group interviews.)
- Attend an acceptance meeting
Some benefits of being an Orientation Leader
- Play a vital role in helping entering freshmen and transfer students transition to UAB
- Build leadership skills through weekly classes, weekend retreat, and regional conference in Tennessee
- Make lifelong friendships with fellow Orientation Leaders
- Take advantage of opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Develop public speaking and interpersonal communication skills
- Network with UAB faculty and staff from all over campus
- Earn stipend for service for all summer orientations, OL gear, and free meals during orientation
- Be a part of a diverse team of dedicated, hard-working, spirited students who love UAB!
Quotes from 2012 Orientation Leaders
“Being an Orientation Leader is one of the greatest experiences that you will get during your time at UAB. Although it is a huge time commitment, it will teach you time management and greater responsibility. You will learn a lot more about the university experience than the average student, get to know a few administrators and some awesome people at orientation.”
“This summer has been one of the best I have had. I am very thankful for this opportunity and would not trade it for anything in the world.”
“You learn about yourself while teaching others.”
“There are so many benefits to being a part of the Orientation Leader Team. I think that a really big benefit is conquering your self-doubt. For many people, talking with people they don't know and getting up in front of people are big fears that they have. However, I would stress that through orientation I was able to confront and handle many of the hesitations that I experienced.”
“It is amazing to be able to positively affect so many people at one time. I've never had a job where I was paid to have fun, hang out with friends and give back to the community all at one time.”