The UAB Orientation Leaders assist in the implementation of Goin' Green New Student Orientation. Orientation Leaders play a vital role in helping new students make a smooth transition to life at UAB. This knowledgeable and spirited group of students is dedicated to helping each student find his/her place in UAB's inclusive community.
Congratulations to the 2017 Orientation Leader Team!
Orientation Leader Coordinators
How to become an Orientation Leader
An ideal Orientation Leader must have an interest in helping others, a positive outlook toward UAB and university life, a broad base of interests and involvement, a sense of humor, and an attitude that values teamwork and diversity. They must be willing to be flexible, patient, and hard-working.
The Orientation Leader selection process is competitive. The application deadline for the 2017 team is typically in mid-October. A list of the steps involved in the application process is below:
- Attend one Interest Session before you submit your application.
- Return completed application, resume, and two letters of recommendation by the deadline.
- Participate in a Career and Professional Development Interview Prep Session (optional).
- Participate in one Group Interview. (Schedule your interview when you submit your application.)
- Participate in a 15-minute Individual Interview. (Candidates selected for an individual interview will be notified after group interviews.)
- Attend an Acceptance Meeting if you are selected.
Some benefits of being an Orientation Leader
- Play a vital role in helping entering freshmen and transfer students transition to UAB
- Build leadership skills through weekly classes, a weekend retreat, and a regional conference in Georgia
- Make lifelong friendships with fellow Orientation Leaders
- Take advantage of opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Develop public speaking and interpersonal communication skills
- Network with UAB faculty and staff from all over campus
- Receive a Summer 2017, Fall 2017, and Spring 2018 leadership scholarship, UAB summer housing, OL gear, and free meals during orientation
- Be a part of a diverse team of dedicated, hard-working, spirited students who love UAB!
Quotes from past Orientation Leaders
“Being an Orientation Leader is one of the greatest experiences that you will get during your time at UAB. Although it is a huge time commitment, it will teach you time management and greater responsibility. You will learn a lot more about the university experience than the average student, get to know a few administrators and some awesome people at orientation.”
"Having the opportunity to be an OL has honestly been the greatest thing to ever happen to me. I have learned a great deal about myself that will be beneficial as I go forward with the rest of my college career, and had some of the best team members I will call friends for the rest of my life."
"The skills I gained as an OL have helped me immensely in my career. Through being an OL, I learned to step out of my comfort zone, speak in front of large crowds, think on my feat and develop a rapport quickly."
“This summer has been one of the best I have had. I am very thankful for this opportunity and would not trade it for anything in the world.”
“You learn about yourself while teaching others.”
"I recognize a quality in myself that no longer exists – trepidation...my greatest high would be replacing my fear of vulnerability with confidence in my strengths. I have learned that leading with faith in myself brings success."
“There are so many benefits to being a part of the Orientation Leader Team. I think that a really big benefit is conquering your self-doubt. For many people, talking with people they don't know and getting up in front of people are big fears that they have. However, I would stress that through orientation I was able to confront and handle many of the hesitations that I experienced.”
“It is amazing to be able to positively affect so many people at one time. I've never had a job where I was paid to have fun, hang out with friends and give back to the community all at one time.”
"Being an Orientation Leader has been by far the best choice I have made here at UAB. I have gotten a chance to meet with new students, administrators, as well as other student leaders on campus who will make a huge difference on how this University functions in the future. Serving as the "welcoming party" to UAB, to let the new students know that they have made the right choice, is so fulfilling when you hear their stories."