Starting a New Student Organization
Requirements to Register a Student Organization:
- The name of the organization cannot begin with “UAB”. It must be phrased as “Wrestling Club at UAB”.
- Your organization must have a full time UAB faculty or staff member serve as the official adviser of the organization. The adviser of the organization must have the appropriate powers. See UAB Policy for Role of a Student Organization Adviser.
- You must upload a document with five UAB students who are members of the organization, their class standing, and their BlazerID.
- You must upload a copy of your organization's constitution.
- The organization's constitution must include the UAB non-discrimination clause (listed below).
The University of Alabama at Birmingham and (insert organization name) prohibits discrimination in admission, educational programs, and other student matters on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability unrelated to program performance, veteran status or genetic or family medical history.
- If your organization collects dues, the constitution must specify what will happen to any remaining funds if the organization is disbanded.
To Create a NEW Student Organization:
You MUST complete the following steps to start a NEW student organization on campus.
- Log-into BSync
- At the top click Organizations and then click Add Organization.
- Click Register New Organization on the top of the page.
- A box will pop up asking "Where do you want to create this organization?". Choose UAB Student Life.
- Fill out the appropriate information (New Organizations MUST upload a membership list AND a constitution and by-laws)
- Click “Finish”
Accessing your BSync Account:
- Go www.uab.edu/bsync.
- Click the “Register / Login” button on the right of the top selection bar.
- Update your personal profile (this step only needs to be done once) - make sure you update your email address and name.
- Continue by clicking next.
- Save your profile.
Privileges of Being a Recognized Student Organization:
- Use of campus facilities including academic classrooms.
- Sponsorship of events on campus
- On-campus advertising
- The privilege to hold on-campus solicitation and fundraising activities
- Use of equipment such as staging, spotlights, canopy tents, popcorn maker, cotton candy maker, button maker, snow-cone machine, and workroom with markers and banner paper.
- Eligible to participate in Organizational Activity Fairs.
- The privilege to establish dues.
- USGA-recognized groups may request funds from Student Government.
- The use of BSync—UAB’s organizational management platform hosted by OrgSync.
- Student Leadership workshops to help your organization grow and develop.