Tax ID Number/Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Any student group that will raise money and, therefore, spend money, will need to maintain proper financial accounts for the group. These accounts should not be the same as any one individual’s account and should be set up by applying for a Tax ID (called EIN by the IRS) specific to the group. Each taxpayer, or Registered Student Organization, must have a Federal Taxpayer Identification Number (EIN). The organization should file Form SS-4 with the IRS to apply for this number. Any financial accounts created or maintained for the organization should be managed under this number.


Apply for an EIN:

  1. Go to the Online EIN Application
  2. Read instructions and click on "Apply Online Now"
  3. Read instructions and click on "Begin Application"
  4. Scroll to bottom of list and select on "View Additional Types including Nonprofit/Tax-Exempt Organizations," click "Continue"
  5. Choose either "Community or Volunteer Group" or "Social or Savings Club" depending on which best describes your group, click "Continue"
  6. Read description to confirm your selection, click "Continue"
  7. Fill out the rest of the information
  8. If the above steps are followed properly, the EIN will be generated online for you to save and begin using immediately. Print out and retain a copy of your CP575 Confirmation. Your current and future officers will need this document for tax filing purposes.